Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP)
Are you a Social Worker or Case Worker in Miami-Dade or Monroe County working with a client over age 60 that has past-due electric bills? If so, you may be able to help your client qualify to pay their bill through the EHEAP program.
The Emergency Home Energy Assistance Program for the Elderly (EHEAP) helps eligible older adults pay energy bills in an emergency.
Through EHEAP, eligible households can receive up to $5,000 for multiple energy bills while funds are available.
- The applicant must be age 60 or older. Energy bills do not need to be in the elder’s name to qualify, but he/she will need to provide proof of residence, such as a driver’s license or other identification.
- The household must be located in Miami-Dade or Monroe counties.
- The household must meet financial eligibility guidelines.
- The applicant must be experiencing a home energy crisis (disconnected, delinquent, or a past due bill).
What Documents Are Needed to Apply?
- Current picture ID (for everyone in the household).
- Social Security Card (for everyone in the household).
- Most current proof of income (for everyone in the household).
*Social Security benefits letter
*Last two (2) pay stubs
*Self-Declaration: a written statement declaring income
- Electric Bill.
- Letter of food assistance (if applicable).
- If renting, most current rental/lease agreement or contract.
- If living in subsidized housing, most current HAP/HUD contract, Annual Recertification Form, or Notice of Rent Adjustment. (Documentation showing utility allowance/reimbursement).
- Note: If you own the home you are living in, you do not need to provide proof of ownership. We are able to verify proof of ownership through the Miami-Dade County portal.
Questions about the program? Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.