Who can apply for electric bill assistance through the EHEAP program?2020-10-25T15:08:26+00:00

Low-income households with at least one person 60 years of age or older with a past due amount on the electric bill.

When can I apply for EHEAP electric bill assistance?2020-10-25T15:08:13+00:00

Electric bills which are either past due, delinquent, or disconnected may receive assistance through EHEAP program. You can apply when there is a past due amount on your electric bill and while funds are available.

What is the benefit amount?2020-10-25T15:07:59+00:00

EHEAP-eligible residents can receive up to $5000 for multiple energy bills while funds are available.

How many times can I apply for EHEAP?2020-10-25T15:07:42+00:00

There have been recent changes to the EHEAP program due to COVID, and households can now submit multiple applications. The total amount of EHEAP assistance a household can receive from all applications is $5000.

I live with my mother, who is over 60. Can I apply?2020-10-25T15:07:26+00:00

Another adult household member may initiate the application on behalf of the older adult. The application will be in the name of the person who is 60 or older.

Does the electric bill need to be in the name of the older adult?2020-10-25T15:07:08+00:00

Energy bills do not need to be in the elder’s name to qualify, but he/she will need to provide proof of residence, such as a driver’s license or other identification.

How do I know if my household is considered low-income?2020-10-25T15:06:51+00:00

Income is determined by household size and income. Click here for the current guidelines.

How does the program work?2020-10-28T14:22:19+00:00

After you gather all documents listed in the Documents Needed section, you can contact an application site or speak with our staff on how to start an application. If all necessary documents are provided, funding is available, and the application is approved, the EHEAP program will advise the electric company of the amount EHEAP will be able to pay towards your overdue bill.

What types of IDs are needed?2020-10-28T14:22:48+00:00

Please provide a state identification (driver’s license or state ID card) and Social security card for all adults in the household.

What types of IDs are needed for children?2020-10-25T15:04:18+00:00

Children are required to have a form of ID, but it’s understood that they might not yet have a photo ID. If they do not have a photo ID, please provide a birth certificate and Social Security card for each child.

I’m an adult, but my state ID has been lost.2020-10-31T12:40:15+00:00

A third-party verifiable ID with a photo is required. If an adult is not able to provide a Driver’s License or State identification card, they must provide both a birth certificate and another verifiable form of picture ID, such as a passport, school ID, health card ID, etc. As above, a Social Security Card is also required.

I am receiving Social Security Benefits as income, but I do not have the Benefit Verification letter available to provide a copy of my income. How can I obtain the Benefit Verification letter if Social Security offices are closed?2020-10-25T15:03:01+00:00

The Social Security Benefit Verification letter can be retrieved from the Social Security Administration webpage (www.ssa.gov) by creating an account through the option displayed as My Social Security account. As well, the letter can be requested via telephone to the Social Security Administration Offices.

When will my electric company know if I’m approved for electric bill assistance.2020-10-25T15:02:46+00:00

Your electric company will be notified by the Alliance the same day the application is approved. Payments are made directly from the Alliance for Aging/EHEAP program to the electric company.

I received LIHEAP recently, can I also apply for EHEAP?2020-10-25T15:02:25+00:00

The EHEAP and LIHEAP programs work together to help families in need. A person can receive crisis assistance from both EHEAP and LIHEAP. Since the EHEAP and LIHEAP programs receive the same federal funding, the total crisis assistance between the two programs combined has a limit of $5000. 

Go to Top