Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP)
If you are living in a Miami-Dade or Monroe County household with at least one member who is age 60 or older, you may be eligible for help to pay your electric bill.
The Emergency Home Energy Assistance Program for the Elderly (EHEAP) helps eligible older adults pay energy bills in an emergency.
Through EHEAP, eligible households can receive up to $5,000 for multiple energy bills while funds are available.
How Do You Qualify?
- The applicant must be age 60 or older. Energy bills do not need to be in the elder’s name to qualify, but he/she will need to provide proof of residence, such as a driver’s license or other identification.
- The household must be located in Miami-Dade or Monroe counties.
- The household must meet financial eligibility guidelines.
- The applicant must be experiencing a home energy crisis (disconnected, delinquent, or a past due bill).
What Documents Do I Need to Apply?
- Current picture ID (for everyone in the household).
- Social Security Card (for everyone in the household).
- Most current proof of income (for everyone in the household).
*Social Security benefits letter
*Last two (2) pay stubs
*Self-Declaration: a written statement declaring income
- Electric Bill.
- Letter of food assistance (if applicable).
- If renting, most current rental/lease agreement or contract.
- If living in subsidized housing, most current HAP/HUD contract, Annual Recertification Form, or Notice of Rent Adjustment. (Documentation showing utility allowance/reimbursement).
- Note: If you own the home you are living in, you do not need to provide proof of ownership. We are able to verify proof of ownership through the Miami-Dade County portal.
Questions about the program? Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.
Options for How to Apply:
Application sites are open. Please note that due to COVID-19 some sites may only be accepting applications by phone. Please call ahead.
Gather the documents needed to apply and contact a Specialist at the Alliance for Aging at (305) 671-6317. The Alliance is not accepting in-person applications.